Wednesday 10 December 2008

Feed the Birds

Nothing much has been going on in my garden because i didn't want to plant any overwintering vegetables because i wanted to give my soil a really good period of time to get more nutrients. So i planted a tone of green manure, but i planted it to late and none of the three packets i had sown grew. I was really irrated because i had spent two days breaking up the soil taking out enough rocks to build a house with and then racking it all over ready for the seeds. Then thank heavens above only a depressing three weeks later little green shoots appeared so i must have done something right.
Now the frost has kicked in they have stopped dead in there tracks, but at least the frost is breaking up my soil.
I have also emptied the entire contense of my composter and dumped it on my old veg patch coverd it with newspaper and cardboard and some old bit of fencing and fleece to hold it all down. The idea of this is to a bulk up the soil there and get the soil to get some more nutrients in there. I did a similar thing to another bed where i had grown some beans and it worked a treat until the rabbits bit off the stems.

Lastly don't forget to feed the birds!

No comments: